Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Poka Laenui in Hawaiian Justice


It was such an honor to be in the intimate classroom setting and have Mr. Poka Laenui passionately speak to us about how societies are constructed while showing us how this relates, in essence, to the Hawaii Sovereignty Movement.  His reading of Archbishop Desmond Tutu’s eloquent speech about how religion relates to society was so fitting for the introduction of his presentation.  This inspired me to research more about Tutu’s humanitarian efforts in South Africa and other parts of the world throughout history.  Tutu’s words made me want to learn more about his political views surrounding modern world issues such as poverty, minority rights, and environmental concerns.  In the last year, I have been blessed to be presented with many powerful leaders that share the same belief system as me.  Studying these figures helps me to further justify my belief system and become a better student and leader, myself. 

I am so blessed to have the opportunity to pursue my education in Hawaii.  I remember my first month living in Hawaii.  So many strange things happened to me that are unexplainable.  Not until the last year have I been able to understand these incidences.  I remember running through the forest in Kaneohe near the Pali Golf Course.  Growing up in the middle of the nowhere in the Colorado Rocky Mountains, I have always had an inviting and intimate relationship with nature.  But when I was running in Kaneohe, I didn’t feel welcomed by the soil, the trees, and the ferns.  The birds would just ignore me.  This was completely foreign to me.  The only thing I could do was tell them, “I am here to learn to do good for the world…to help you.  I am not here to be dishonest or to live a frivolous life.  Please, please welcome me.  Let me see the beauty of Hawaii so I can be happy.”  Soon, I felt welcomed, thank God.  But there were still some places I would go that would literally make me vomit.  Three years later, I found out that these places were where graves were dug up by huge companies and put in shoeboxes for storage. 

 Immersing myself as much as possible in the traditions of the Hawaiian people, especially Hula, has allowed my relationship with the earth to grow tremendously.  Carefully observing the relationship that people of Hawaiian descent have with the Western world has fascinated me as much as it has saddened me.  I have always found myself drawing a parallel between the situation in Hawaii and what has happened with the indigenous culture that I am most familiar with, the Lakota Nation.  There are parallels everywhere ranging from the Christianization of the locals, to the new, cheap, unhealthy diet of salt and sugars, to the sedentary lifestyle, to the poverty, to the environmental destruction, to the racism, to the alcoholism, to the Westernization, to the materialism.  Because the story of the Hawaiian people has been kept from them, many cannot help but assimilate with the Western world.  Fortunately, their ways are making a comeback, and people are adopting them back into their lives with great pride. 

Although I still have much to learn about the history involved with the overthrow of Queen Lili`uokalani, the US military occupation of the islands, the annexation of Hawaii, and the US government’s role in the islands since then, I know that what was done was wrong and that something needs to be done about it.  What should be done and how this should be carried out has always baffled me.  Poka Laenui has so far, presented the most reasonable steps to attain justice and bring the Hawaiian people a peace of mind. 

Laenui’s model of the formal system in Hawaii and the rest of the US which specifically emphasizes domination, individualism, and exclusion (DIE) revealed so much truth so simply.  Things were really put into perspective when he revealed to us the informal system in Hawaii which upholds `olu`olu (being comfortable with), Lokani (community), and Aloha (inclusion with a sense of humanity and compassion).  The acronym for `Olu`olu, Lokani, and Aloha is OLA, which means life in Hawaiian.  Somehow, both of these systems exist simultaneously.  Yet this does not negate the unfortunate fact that the DIE model has become dominant in these beautiful islands.

In order to change from the DIE to the OLA model, we must first recognize DIE and all that it entails.  The transition from DIE to OLA is one of the main objectives that the people behind the Hawaiian sovereignty movement are fighting for.  First Hawaii must go through the process of decolonization before any true contentment and reparation can begin.  Laenui’s steps toward appropriate decolonization certainly made a lot of sense.  The first step is recovery and rediscover.  If, in this case, the true Hawaiian culture is not recovered and rediscovered, the years of colonization and its ways that have become engrained in society will just continue.  The second stage is the mourning phase; this society is more than justified to mourn for the story of their people that has been kept from them.  But society must move on to the dreaming phase and explode the system from the inside by revealing the truth.  Great consideration has to be given to identifying the deep values we want to live by in Hawaii.  Consensus then must be achieved.  All of these steps will prepare the society for appropriate action.  I truly hope that one day, all races can come together and bring Hawaii the justice it deserves.

No comments:

Post a Comment